Saturday, January 7, 2012

Saturday Songs – Jan. 7


I'm late! Whoops!

~

1. “Down In The Valley” – The Head and the Heart



This song is my latest obsession. I heard the last 30 seconds of the song over XM radio (no one announcing the song names!) and committed the lyrics to memory—“California / Oklahoma / and all the place that I’ve never been to / but down in the valley / whiskey rivers…” One week later, I remembered the lines and typed them into Google and voilà! there was the song on YouTube! Turns out, with 250,000+ hits on one of the videos, that I’m somewhat behind the curve on this folky band.

The latest folky incarnation coming out of the Seattle area, The Head and the Heart captured hearts throughout their hometown area in the past few years—and rightfully so. Their debut album nails down not only some topnotch songwriting, but also some crackerjack playing. You can hear the band channel all this on this best song off their self-titled album.

~

2. “Winter Cows” – John Gorka



A phenomenally subtle song from New Jersey songwriting extraordinaire Gorka, “Winter Cows” examines the life of…you’ve got it!…cows as they sit around in the snowed-in fields. Gorka projects all variety of thoughts onto the cows: “Some dream of India, where their cousins are stars, / but they don't like the crowds, so they stay where they are.”

~

3. “Old Gin Road” – Ponderosa



Beginning with a heavy, crunchy guitar line, “Old Gin Road” is a simple slab of classic southern rock. Taking a page from the country-fried melodies of Little Feat and the energy of the Black Crowes, Ponderosa might someday sit right alongside the Drive-By Truckers in the canon of modern day southern rock. Then again, they’ll have to turn out several more albums as good as Moonlight Revival.

~

4. “Doubting Thomas” – Nickel Creek



For some reason, I avoided Nickel Creek for years. That was partly because I used to have an aversion to bluegrass and partly (read: ridiculously) avoided Nickel Creek because their band name sounded/looked like Nickelback, which is just a different band. Yes. I suppose we all have our bad reasons, but that reason is probably worse than most. Anyways, I got over my insensible, irrational distaste a week ago and am now a convert.

Of course, Nickel Creek skews pretty close to mainstream country for my tastes, but, despite their winning commercial ways, they are progressive bluegrass enthusiasts and consummate musicians through and through, especially mandolin/songwriter/singer Chris Thile. While all three members have an important share in the band, Thile clearly emerges as the leader by the third album, Why Should the Fire Die?. His post-Nickel Creek career includes not only the formation of the Punch Brothers, along with similar minded bluegrass musicians, as well as a fantastic bluegrass album with Michael Davies and several solo albums.

My favorite tune off Why Should the Fire Die? is the religious tumult of “Doubting Thomas.” As some of you might remember, I’m a sucker for songs about struggling with belief (see #2) and I was immediately taken with Thomas’s spiritual turmoil captured by Thile et al in this beautiful tune.

~

5. “Spit On A Stranger” – Nickel Creek



Yes. I just discovered Nickel Creek. Given that, I can’t help but pick out two tunes from their three albums. Then again, I did choose one original (see above) and one cover song. One thing that is so fascinating about Nickel Creek (and Chris Thile) is their (his?) willingness to tackle non-traditional bluegrass material. Thile’s band is known for taking on Radiohead tunes in concert (including “Packt Like Sardines…” and “2+2=5”). So maybe taking on a Pavement song isn’t exactly scary territory for Thile, but the fact is that Nickel Creek does this song maybe a little better than Stephen Malkmus and friends. (Hopefully my brother won’t be too angry at me for that assertion.) Nickel Creek’s rendition of this song is crisp and poppy and to the point. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment